Sunday, October 9, 2011

Common Biases

Over the course of ten years I’ve noticed certain biases people have toward diabetics.  People always say to me “oh you’re a diabetic so you can’t eat sugar,” “Don’t worry you can eat this, it’s sugar free,” or “can you play any sports?” 
            This frustrates me all the time!!! Diabetics can do anything a normal person can.  Yes we can eat sugar, even though a lot of sugar isn’t good for anyone, INCLUDING people without diabetes. Besides diabetics do not count grams of sugar, we focus more on carbohydrates.  Diabetics’ pancreases don’t secrete the hormone insulin, which breaks down the carbohydrates into energy. So that’s why we need to manually inject insulin into our bodies to keep our blood sugar down and gain energy. 
            Diabetics are like any other people and can play sports. I’m a diabetic and I play tennis and run track. Plus I like to play soccer, basket ball, football, and any other types of sports with my friends.  Sure diabetics may have to test their blood sugar before playing or after, but that takes literally 10 seconds to do, and then we can play as long or as much as we want. 
            Just because you have diabetes doesn’t mean that you have to be treated differently by anyone else.  Most people don’t even know I have diabetes unless I tell them I do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment